Optional is a game deciding component in the current scheme of civil services examination. I easily credit my 301 in Sociology for making me secure IAS.
With this view, following is my paperwise Sociology booklist:
- IGNOU BA/MA notes: Sociology as a science, sociology and other sciences, research methods, Politics and Society, Social Stratification and mobility, Religion and Society, Kinship.
- Harlambos: Weber, Work and life, Social Change
- Online notes from various sources: Thinkers, Social Change ( Modernisation, Pluralist Thinkers, Liberal Thinkers).
- IGNOU: Politics, Religion, Agrarian class, Social Transformation, Industrial class, middle class et al, Rural Society, Social Movements, Caste System, Tribal System.
- Ram Ahuja- Indian Social System : Caste System, Social Change, Agrarian Society, Communalism, urbanisation, industrialization
- EPW/Yojana/Vision Booklets: Social issues like crime against women, caste system’s disabilities, manual scavenging, problems of slums.
Current Affairs form an important part of Paper II, hence it is important to make your own notes from newspapers etc that bear impact on society. For example, maternity bill ensured more participation of women in economy, lesser fertility, impetus to gender reforms.
Sociology is a writing intensive optional. Hence make sure that you join a good test series and do solve previous years papers.
All the best.