When I started preparing for civil services examination, I was told the talisman: NCERTs are the bread and butter of preparation. This statement however is misleading. NCERTs are necessary but not sufficient for sailing through the exam.

Following subjects certainly require NCERTs:

• Old History book for Ancient
  • Geography class XI
  • Art and Culture fine arts class XI
  • Medieval History new ones.

Apart from these, polity, sociology too can be read but the return is low. They make a good read for GS I.

Timeline for NCERTs

It is always advisable to start ones preparation with these books. They are light on content yet providing a background as to what needs to be read. But this makes it equally important that one doesn’t spends too much time over it.

An aspirant must spend three months over them, make notes and revise periodically in this time. Small details need to be taken care of.

Utility

NCERTs are becoming increasingly important at Prelims stage. Although no straight forward Question is posed but if one possesses understanding of the concept, the objective type questions become a cake walk.

At Mains stage, GS I has the maximum utility from these books. Interview has least and almost nil.

Myth buster

Not all NCERTs from class 6-12 th are to be read. They are irrelevant and even redundant in most cases. Geography is the only one that requires attention from NCERTs.

Advertisements

Posted by iasjourneyandbeyond

10 Comments

1. Ma’am Is it wise to go for CSE just after Engineering without backup (MBA) or job experience?

I’m pursuing B.tech.(2nd year), and I’ve figured out that I have interest in Civil services.

Or should I just build the personality to become a civil servant and study my engineering course in these 3 years?

And one more query is that the qualities needed to be a civil servant would come naturally with experience or we should try to inculcate them from now onwards only?

2. Ma’am Is it wise to go for CSE just after Engineering without backup (MBA) or job experience?

3. mam im preparing for upsc2018 ,mam im little bit confused about ncerts plz guide me with those ,i mean,in ncert wat to read and wat not to
    And is there is necessary to read all ncerts from 6-12

4. Should we read civics and history from 6th to 12th ncert books??

5. Very Informative Article..I had no clue abt NCERTS

6. गढ़वाली गौरव November 14, 2017 at 5:30 pm

आप अपने अनुभव हमसे साझा करते हैं उससे बहुत कुछ सीखने को मिलता है आपको बहुत बहुत धन्यवाद मेरा आपसे एक निवेदन है अपने बचपन से और वर्तमान तक के क्षणों को साझा करने वाला एक ब्लॉग लिखने की कोशिश करें । आप बहुत सुंदर लिखते हैं

7. ma’am
    couldn’t thank you more for this blog
    may god bless you !

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you. If you like my writing, you would be delighted to read my book 71 to 51.

You can read it there.

Do let me know how you like it 🙂

8. Ma’am I am in 11th class. How can start preparing to crack this exam..?
    And which newspaper would you recommended to read ?

Liked by 1 person

1. Hi Saburi, so nice to hear that you’re preparing so young. But dear you should read oy NCERts and newspaper. Also please focus on your class 12th .

All the best