For Mains, Examination, there are two low hanging fruits: essay and ethics. A good score in both is a guarantee of being selected. 300+ in optional in addition would ensure a top 20 All India Rank.
In this post, we focus on essay writing.
Choosing the right topic
The above is Civil Services Examination 2016 Essay paper. As is evident, a candidate has to write two essays, one from each section, in three hours of nearly 1000 words each.
Given that we are spoilt for choice, it is important we make a wise decision. Pointers to keep in mind when making a choice for essay topic:
- Choose a broad topic. For example: given a choice between China Pakistan Economic Corridor versus India’s internal security threats, the latter is a broad one and hence you have more content to write.
- Avoid too technical topics. You might run the risk of writing wrong facts.
Having decided on the topic, it is vital to decide on the outline. Most of the essays require you to:
- Have quotation on issues like development, women, India, technology.
- Write heading like social, political, economical etc.
- Always start on an informative note. Explain in the first paragraph what topic is asking for. It ensures the examiner that you have understood the Question correctly.
- Always conclude on an optimistic note. A positive conclusion should have constructive criticism.
All the best.